Why “defund” Planned Parenthood? Can we even do that? What do I say when I call the governor?
There’s a lot of misinformation in the press and half-baked excuses coming from your elected officials, confusing the whole issue. But let’s boil it down to the basics. Here’s what you need to know:
Why defund Planned Parenthood?
Planned Parenthood, the nation’s largest abortion provider, has been caught:
- Covering up the sexual abuse of minors
- Deliberately lying to the often vulnerable women who come to Planned Parenthood for care
- Brutally dismembering babies to sell their most valuable body parts
- Committing millions of dollars in Medicaid fraud, right here in Iowa
Taxpayers should not be compelled by law to financially support an organization whose practices they find morally repugnant.
What does it mean to “defund” it?
In Iowa, two more things need be done to make sure none of your money supports Planned Parenthood:
- Cancel all contracts the state of Iowa has with Planned Parenthood
- Terminate Planned Parenthood as an approved Medicaid provider
Taxpayers like you should not be giving millions annually in Medicaid dollars to an organization under investigation for Medicaid fraud.
Can the Gov. Branstad even do that?
Simple answer: Yes.
Iowa’s Democrat attorney general would like to convince Branstad otherwise, but other governors (like Louisiana’s Bobby Jindal) have defunded Planned Parenthood, and other legislators, including Iowa’s U.S. Rep. David Young and Texas U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, are calling on Branstad to do it. The U.S. House has already passed legislation specifically allowing for it.
Branstad has also been provided with extensive legal documentation, including precedents in federal court, demonstrating he can.
More importantly, the open investigation of Planned Parenthood of the Heartland’s for Medicaid fraud gives Branstad all the legal cause he needs.
How would that impact women’s health care?
There are only 13 Planned Parenthood clinics in Iowa, many in urban areas.
There are 213 other women’s health medical centers spread across Iowa that don’t commit the crimes Planned Parenthood is accused of, don’t conduct abortions, and even offer additional services Planned Parenthood doesn’t … like mammograms.
Redirecting funds and patients to those clinics will ensure Iowa women continue to receive quality health care.
How can I urge the governor to do what’s right and defund Planned Parenthood? What do I say?
There are several ways:
1. Use our easy email form by clicking here. The words are all provided for you, and you can edit or customize them as you like.
2. Call the governor’s office at 515-281-5211. You may get an operator who wants to tell you all about Branstad’s record or repeat some of his talking points. Don’t worry about trying to argue. No need to be rude. Simply say something like, “Planned Parenthood is under Medicaid fraud investigation in Iowa. I want the governor to terminate Planned Parenthood as an approved Medicaid provider. I don’t want to hear excuses, and I don’t want another penny of my money funding Planned Parenthood. He can do it, and I’m calling to demand he does.”
3. Go to Facebook and “share” this post telling Branstad to “Keep Your Promise” and defund Planned Parenthood.
4. Use the hashtags #KeepYourPromise and #DefundPP on Twitter. Consider tweeting out this message: @TerryBranstad I’m a voter and I want you to #KeepYourPromise #DefundPP https://thefamilyleader.com/keep-your-promise-governor/
Let’s encourage Gov. Branstad to do the right thing and defund Planned Parenthood today!