On May 13, the Obama administration issued an edict to all U.S. schools requiring they open bathrooms according to self-proclaimed gender identity instead of biological sex … or risk lawsuit and loss of federal funds.
The specific wording of the mandate, however, does much more than that. It also:
- Dictates that boys who self-identify as female be allowed to use girls’ locker rooms and shower facilities, and vice versa.
- Specifically states that making a gender-neutral, single-stall bathroom available to transgender students is insufficient. If a girls’ bathroom or locker room exists, boys and men who identify as female must be allowed entry, and vice versa.
- Dictates that students must be allowed to play the sport of the gender they self-identify.
- Specifically states that a student may self-identify his or her gender to the school without parental permission or knowledge.
- Forbids any medical requirements as a prerequisite of new gender identity.
- Dictates that on school field trips, boys who self-identify as female must be allowed to sleep in the same hotel rooms as female students, and vice versa. Providing a private hotel room for a transgender student is not allowed unless all students are lodged in private rooms.
These policies aren’t just going into effect in California somewhere. All schools that receive Title IX federal funding will be required to enforce this mandate … or else.
The FAMiLY LEADER is using its national influence to forcefully proclaim that this edict is not only wrongfully enacted, but wrong on its face. Working with partner organizations like Family Policy Alliance, Alliance Defending Freedom, the Family Research Council, and others, we hope to stir the American people to defend our sons and daughters and stop the Obama administration’s social engineering agenda.
TFL also created the following press release, which was sent to hundreds of local and national news outlets. Interview requests are pouring in, and we’re getting the message out on television and in print.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Friday, May 13, 2016
THE FAMILY LEADER RESPONDS TO OBAMA EDICT
ON SCHOOL BATHROOMS AND SHOWERS
Issues statement on administration’s “insensitive” mandate
Urbandale, IOWA – The FAMiLY LEADER asserts the Obama administration’s mandate requiring schools receiving federal funds to open all bathrooms and locker rooms according to self-proclaimed gender identity instead of biological sex is not only an unconstitutional overreach of executive power, but also grossly insensitive to sexual assault victims and parents concerned for their children’s safety.
The administration’s refusal to permit schools to offer single-stall bathrooms as a common sense solution is evidence this decision is not about accommodating transgender students, but about using federal power to strong-arm its social agenda.
“As a former high school principal, I know there must be a better solution than having high school girls walk out of the showers exposed in front of biological males,” says Bob Vander Plaats, president and CEO of The FAMiLY LEADER. “The lack of compassion this edict shows for victims of sex abuse, in particular, is stunning.
“Furthermore, this kind of federal overreach is exactly why The FAMiLY LEADER has been a consistent advocate for removing the federal government from education,” he states.
For more information about The FAMiLY LEADER, visit www.thefamilyleader.com.
For more information about how open bathroom policies impact sexual abuse victims, watch this video from the Alliance Defending Freedom:
What can YOU do?
- Contact your United States legislator. This edict can only exist because the U.S. Congress has ceded its constitutional power to the president and his Department of Education. Congress could issue a resolution tomorrow declaring this is NOT the intent or proper interpretation of Title IX and retake its proper authority from an out-of-control executive branch.
- Sign your name to letters to the editor, to your school board, and to petitions, like this one from Alliance Defending Freedom, or the one at the end of this Family Research Council article, or this one at the Catholic LifeSiteNews website.
- Donate today to organizations working to give your values a voice in today’s culture.